by Derek B, the Savage Duck
Wondercon 2012, Comic-con's little sibling that's usually in San Francisco, was in Anaheim this year. One of the panels was "Geek & Sundry". Without knowing it, I was there for the launch announcement for their new YouTube channel.
Why is this news on a blog centered around Savage Worlds and Maptool? One of the shows on their new channel is called Table Top. It's a show about playing games, our kind of games. Wil Wheaton hosts the show with TV and media folks as quests. It's a huge step forward for the industry. And yes, he'll actually tackle RPGs. The first RPG listed is Dragon Age. We have to get him to do Savage Worlds. Since this was the most important announcement to me, here's the ad for Table Top. See how many games and guests you can name.
- Felicia Day - Dr. Horrible, The Guild, Eureka - G&S Channel Exec. Prod.
- Wil Wheaton - StarTrek:NG, Eureka, Big Bang Theory - Show: Table Top - Gaming
- Mike Richardson - Founder and Pres. Dark Horse Comics: Producing a new form of motion comics.
- Veronica Belmont & Tom Merritt - G&S Channel: Sword & Laser
The Shows launch in April. In order of Savage Duck interest, they are:
- Table Top: Launching April 2nd and my favorite show listed. Hosted by Wil Wheaton and featuring table top games including at least one RPG. See the ad above. Dragon Age was the first RPG Wil identified to be covered on Table Top. 30 minutes episodes every other week once it launches.
- Dark Horse: starting April 2nd and every Wednesday following. Mike Richardson promises that Dark Horse is bring something entirely new to this motion graphic approach. Hellboy, The Goon, and The Umbrella Academy kick off this channel.
- Sword & Laser: Starting April 13th and every other Friday following...the popular book review podcast is coming to life in video with their very cool set that looks like a dungeon. Hosted by Veronica Belmont & Tom Merritt and they have a cyborg dragon that breathes fire and talks too.
- The Guild: Season 5 coming April 10th. If you don't know this one, smack yourself. When episodes move to G&S they'll reformat them so we don't have to watch the intro music/animation between episodes.
- Flog: Felicia Day's video blog on stuff she's interested in.
- Written by a Kid: July 16th and every Wednesday following. Original sci-fi, fantasy and horror stories by real kids are transformed into stunning shorts by today's coolest directors. These original live-action and animated pieces truly capture the madness and magic of the 4-to-9 year old mindset. This could be a surprising hit. A lot of unknowns but The Troll has more to share with Chaos Lord Zach, his son.
- LearningTown: Starting sometime in the fall, this smart offbeat musical, nerd duo Paul & Storm blend vocal harmonies with comedic scenarios as they are tasked with reviving the flagging educational show of their childhoods.
Here's a YouTube of the first 6 minutes of the panel. It covers what G&S is and Wil Wheaton's segment introducing Table Top. Just below this video is a link to my own audio recording of the panel recorded for our Savage Troll folks.
The Exclusive audio recording of the full panel is here. I call it Exclusive as the first 2 minutes are what really happens at a live panel before the show starts. I didn't see anyone else that had it on YouTube so it's something special we can share. I've recorded a minute and half intro to explain whats happening in this first 2 minutes that would otherwise be hard to understand. Enjoy!!
Coming next: Art from Wondercon! How you can go to a Con and get new art for your gaming.
Until next time...